I may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post. I am an NYR Organic Independent Consultant and any purchase you make through my blog or shopping site helps keep this website working. Thanks for your support!
Facial oils are not one of the first beauty items that a girl learns to use. It is essential, in my opinion, to do the traditional three steps in facial care: cleanse, tone, moisturize. So, that can be only three products. But if you learn how, when, and why to use an organic facial oil, your skin can be even more amazing.
Why to use an organic facial oil
Why organic? Because I personally think anything that is soaking into my skin should be free of pesticides and other toxic ingredients. Personally, I also want one free of parabens, synthetic fragrances, silicones, phthalates and more and that’s why I choose to use Neal’s Yard Remedies. (You can read more about our product ingredients here.)
Why a facial oil? Facial oils can help lock in hydration, boost antioxidants, add radiance, and make your skin feel more soft and silky. Using a facial oil can certainly be addictive.
How to use an organic facial oil
You can apply a facial oil in several ways. You can apply the facial oil after using your toner or after using a serum. Or, you can use it instead of a serum. You would usually apply it before your moisturizer though. You can also mix in a few drops with your moisturizer. Personally, I mixed a few drops of Frankincense Facial Oil into my Palmarosa Purifying Daily Moisturizer, after I found that the Palmarosa moisturizer was a little too drying for me. It helped add a little bit of hydration and felt and smelled wonderful.
It is also fun to give yourself a mini facial massage when applying a facial oil. You can check out some of the facial message techniques here on page 12 in the NYR Organic online catalog. Don’t forget to apply to your neck too!
When applying, it is effective to put a few drops on your fingers and press the oil into your skin, rather than rub. This allows the facial oil to be better absorbed. For added relaxation take a moment to breathe in the fragrant oil and close your eyes and relax. Its a great start to the day, or and end of the day treat!
When to use an organic facial oil
- For normal to oily/combination skin types: use a few times a week (especially at night) for added radiance and protection and luxury (also depending on the specific ingredients)
- For normal to dry skin: use up to daily for added moisture boost.
- When your skin will be exposed to harsher conditions like wind or colder temperatures
- During an airplane flight you can apply a few drops every hour to prevent moisture loss. The air in planes is known for being extremely dry and harsh on our skin.
- Do not use it mixed in with any moisturizer that contains SPF because it can mess with the effectiveness of the sunscreen.
- Do not use it alone on dry skin. It is better absorbed on slightly damp skin, so that’s why it works right after toner or a serum.
- You may find as you get older your skin dries out and you find yourself reaching for your facial oil more. Also, your skin produces less oil in the night, so that’s why you may want to increase your moisture boosting products before you go to bed.
- A woman usually has the most dry skin at the beginning of the month (days 5-10) so a facial oil can be useful during this time.
If you want to add an organic facial oil to your skincare routine, Neal’s Yard Remedies offers three different ones: Orange, Rose, and Frankincense. You can read about all of them here. In fact, the Frankincense Facial Oil is currently 25% off, along with the Frankincense Hydrating Cream.
Please comment below with any questions and join my VIP group on facebook for all of the latest info and deals.