I may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post. I am an NYR Organic Independent Consultant and any purchase you make through my blog or shopping site helps keep this website working. Thanks for your support!
After blogging for a bit, and reflecting on why I blog, here are six reasons I think everyone should have a blog for direct sales or small businesses.
Why to blog
- Share your own personality. Blogging gives you the opportunity to create your own voice, different from just your brand. You can be known for you and attract customers that are drawn to you.
- Stand out among all the consultants for your brand. In most direct sales brands, we all sell the same things from the same catalog. When you offer something additional (information, reviews, related articles) you will stand out in the crowd that sells the same thing.
- Build brand recognition on the internet. Not every brand is well known. And there are a TON of great brands that are out there and not known by most people. Blogging can help your warm market (people you know) and your cold market (those you don’t) learn more about your brand, especially with a great promotion plan using Pinterest and other social media outlets. (And if you need training on Pinterest for your business check this one out! I learned so much!)
- It’s fun. Blogging is something different than house gatherings and Facebook parties. It’s a way to connect with the outer world when you don’t know who exactly will read what you have written. It stretches your brain in a different way. It is an outlet for thoughts. You can connect with other bloggers in similar fields.
- Answer questions once. In direct sales, you have lots of questions that are repeated by others. Which type of product is best for this type of skin? How do you style that skirt? What comes in the joining kit? What are the customer deals this month? So… when you blog the answers to these question you can answer once and then point people to this blog post.
- Get more business. Of course, in a business, it all boils down to business. And so this is one of the reasons to blog. Getting more exposure on the internet means widening your circle of potential customers. You put more of yourself and your brand out there, leading to more sales.
How to blog
So… how to start blogging? You can choose many free platforms and figure it out yourself. I thought about that option, but the better option is a self-hosted WordPress blog. But starting to choose a theme, plugins, and more can be daunting. And confusing. And frustrating.
I chose to take the Sassy Suite Blogging Bootcamp to help me design my logo and set up my blog. They did the grunt work. And then I got to learn while guided with videos, a facebook group, and continued support and help for about three months. Blogging Bootcamp session 5 is open for registration now! Take a look at some of the blogs and websites created with the help of Sassy Suite here.
Blogging Bootcamp 5 has two options.
- Standard Bootcamp includes a private Bootcamp Facebook group, technical setup of your site, a choice of 4 WordPress Themes, All of the standard course videos, your blog being featured on the SassySuite Client Portfolio (assuming you go live within boot camp). This is perfect for all levels – if you are just starting or if you have some WordPress knowledge already.
- NEWSFLASH: PREMIUM IS SOLD OUT!!!!!
Premium Bootcamp is what I chose and it’s great if you want more bells and whistles. It includes everything above PLUS One Private Design + Color Consultation with Brenda and Team (via video chat), a choice of 2 additional WordPress Themes, Blog Logo + Signature Graphic, Featured Image Design Consultation for your Theme Choice.
- BONUS! Both bootcamps come with one of my favorite courses – Brand Yo’ Self with Graphics.
- Early Registration BONUS! For those who register by May 15th, you get another fabulous course, Winning with Pinterest.
Both of these are great options and the extra bonus courses are fabulous and really give you the tools to create the blog and then promote it. Blogging has been an incredible journey for me and I hope you take the leap and jump into it too.